About » Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find a list of the current studio art classes?
- On the Armory website: http://www.armoryarts.org/education/studio-classes/
- Studio brochures are available in the front office and front hallway at the Armory.
- You can request to be included on our brochure mailing list by contacting our registrar at: [email protected]
What class should my child take?
- Students should register for classes in their age group.
- Parents can help guide children’s interest through reading and understanding the class descriptions.
- Parents generally have a good idea about the student’s interests.
My child is advanced and I would like them to take a class with older children.
- Our classes are designed for developmental and socially appropriate groups of children.
- Language and subject matter of older students’ conversations and themes may not be age appropriate.
- Faculty members are trained to assess and plan around the experience level of each individual. They are sensitive to dealing within a range of abilities and often present learning challenges that are open ended, allowing the student to approach each project at their level.
The class I want is full, what can I do and is there a waiting list?
- When registering, we strongly encourage you to pick a second choice class.
- Class spaces are held only for registrants who have paid in full.
- Space will only become available if a student withdraws from the class. We are unable to keep waiting lists, but you may contact the registrar at [email protected] to find out if anyone has withdrawn.
- Early registration is recommended to avoid not getting your first choice class.
How do I register for a class?
- Register for classes by mail, fax, in person or online at http://www.armoryarts.org/education/studio-classes/
- If you wish to register for a class that has been taken offline, please do so by fax, mail or in person.
- Registration forms can be downloaded at: http://www.armoryarts.org/education/studio-classes/. They can also be found in the printed studio brochure or in the front office at the Armory.
- Please mail in your registration with a check or credit card number. Faxed registrations an only be accepted when paying with a Visa or MasterCard. You can fax the registration form to 626-449-0139.
- You can drop off the registration form in the front office. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Registration hours are Monday through Friday 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm September – June, and 8:30am – 4:00pm July & August.
- Class spaces are held only for registrants who have paid in full.
- Registrations cannot be accepted by phone or e-mail.
The online registration form says “just because a class isn’t available online does not mean that it is full,” if so, how do I register?
- Please contact the studio registrar at [email protected] or 626-792-5101 ex. 121 for current class availability.
- After a certain number of class spaces fill we close online registration. In this case only faxed, mailed or in person registrations are accepted. Registrations cannot be accepted by phone or e-mail.
- If your class is not available online do not register with the intention of changing your class registration.
Can I register before the registration start date?
- We do not have priority or early registration for Armory classes.
- Classes fill on a first come, first serve basis.
How do I apply for tuition assistance?
- Fill out the tuition assistance form available in the front office or download it from our website: http://www.armoryarts.org/education/studio-classes/
- Submit your application and accompanying materials by fax, mail or in person.
- Allow 2 weeks for your application to be processed.
- We cannot rush the form to accommodate session dates.
I received a tuition assistance award letter, how do I register for classes?
- You must register in person only. Please bring your award letter with you when you come to register. Registration hours are Monday – Friday 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm September – June, and 8:30 am – 4:00 pm in July and August.
- For registrations using tuition assistance funds, you must pay a minimum of 10% of your total class tuition at the time of registration.
Is there a discount for multiple siblings?
- No, but if you become a member at the family level, your entire family can save 10% on all Armory classes. Memberships can be purchased online at: http://www.armoryarts.org/support/membership/
Can I or my child take a class more than once?
- Absolutely, many of our classes are designed for beginning and continuing students.
Is there a materials fee for the class? Should we bring anything the first day of class?
- Some of our adult classes require a materials fee all fees are posted in the class description. Some of the adult classes will require that you purchase your own materials, which will be discussed on your first day of class. See class descriptions for specific details of each class.
- No materials or materials fees are needed for classes with age groups 3-11, middle school or high school.
I submitted my registration, will I receive a confirmation?
- For registrations submitted by fax, mail or in person you will receive a phone call to confirm your registration within 2 weeks of receipt of your application. Please remember to check your phone messages.
- For registrations submitted online you will receive an automatically generated e-mail to confirm your registration. Please make sure to enter your e-mail address carefully when registering online. Sometimes our confirmation e-mails get marked as junk mail, so please check your spam folder if you do not receive one.
- Please note that you will only receive one confirmation and we do not send any materials in the mail. Once you are confirmed you are ready to attend the first day of class.
Can I drop my child off at the curb?
- Only students aged 12 and older may be dropped off without an adult accompanying them to the classroom area and picking them up after class.
- For students aged 3-11 please escort them into the building and sign them in to their class. When picking up, please remember to sign out.
- Students aged 3 – 11 must not enter or leave the building unaccompanied.
Where can I park?
- Parking is available in the public parking structure just north of the Armory, the first 90 minutes are free. Also, thanks to the generous cooperation of St. Andrews Church and School, limited free parking is available for Armory patrons at the parking lot on the north-east corner of Walnut St. and Raymond Ave. Before using the church parking lot, please obtain a permit and map from the Armory reception office. From either location you will be able to easily walk your child to the Armory building. Only handicap parking is available in the back of the Armory building.
Is there a sign-in sheet?
- During the summer months, all students need to be signed in and out by an adult at the sign-in sheet in the front hallway.
- During the Fall, Winter and Spring sessions, parents must accompany their child to the classroom area and sign in with the teacher. Students should be picked up and signed out in the same area.
Do you provide after-hours care? What if I am late picking up my child?
- We are not able to provide care for students before and after class. Please be prompt in arriving and picking up your child.
- For parents who are early dropping off or late picking up their child, the Armory will charge a fee of $1.00 for the first five minutes. An additional $1.00 per minute will be charged thereafter.
As an adult, I have never taken an art class before. Will I be far behind the other students?
- All of our adult classes’ curriculums are designed for beginning and continuing students.
- Classes are limited to 12 students, so there is an emphasis on individual levels and growth.
How can I find out if a class is Full?
- Full classes are noted on our website at http://www.armoryarts.org/education/studio-classes/ Please remember that because of the rapidly changing status of classes all full classes might not be noted as full.
- You can inquire about full classes by emailing [email protected] calling 792-5101 ex. 121, or by coming to the Armory and checking our posting in the front entryway.
I need to withdraw my registration, what do I do?
- To withdraw from a class and receive a full refund, the request must be made at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the session. The Armory will retain a $15 processing fee per class.
- A 50% refund will be granted for withdrawals made between two weeks prior to the beginning of the session and the beginning of the second class. No refunds will be granted after the second class.
- No refunds for Art High registrations.
- All class withdrawals must be submitted in writing and cannot be taken over the phone. Please come in to the front office and fill out an add/drop form, or send an e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the students name, the name of the person who enrolled them, and the classes they are enrolled in.
I would like to change classes, how do I do this?
- You may change classes provided there is space available in your desired class. Please note that there a $15 fee per class to change classes.
- All class changes must be submitted in writing and cannot be taken over the phone. Please come in to the front office and fill out a class change form, or send an e-mail to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the students name, the class(es) that they are enrolled in and the class(es) you would like to switch to.
If my child is here for more than one class, what do they do in between classes?
- We have supervised breaks in the Community Room for the half hour between classes.
- Children need to bring a lunch, snacks and a beverage (water is highly recommended).
Can I take my child out to lunch and bring them back to class?
- Yes, just please sign them in and out.
Where can I pick up their artwork?
- On the shelving units, towards the back door, you will find the students’ work marked by summer session week number (1 – 9). Be sure to bring your child with you to insure that you are taking the correct artwork home.
- All finished ceramic works are on the racks just outside the ceramics room door.
- All DVDs from Stop Motion Animation and film-making classes are on bottom shelves in the front office with students’ names on them.
For questions regarding class registration, the registrar can be reached at 626-792-5101 ex. 121 and by e-mail at [email protected].
Can we rent the Caldwell Gallery?
- The Armory’s Caldwell Gallery is not available for rent but with previously made arrangements can be opened for guests to see current exhibition. No wine or food allowed.
Can fundraising events be held at the Armory?
- We are happy that other non-profits and schools consider using our space for their benefit but limit the number of fundraising events taking place each year.
- We do not allow art auctions of any kind.
Does the Armory set up or clean up our event?
- No. An Armory staff person is hired to oversee each event. You and/or your caterers are responsible for the set up and clean up afterwards. Having said that, our Armory personnel are always helpful and pitch in to help make your event a success.
Can the Armory be rented for programmatic use?
- The Armory restricts the use of our facility by outside groups or individuals for programmatic uses i.e. performances, art-making purposes including classes or workshop as well as for art exhibits and art sales.